We won’t share your data, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Toronto, November 30, 2020 – SOCAN has appointed Michael Asante to the role of A&R Representative, Rap and R&B, a new position to address the rapidly growing part of the company’s membership base. His appointment is the culmination of a four-month search that saw more than 500 applicants for the role.
As A&R Representative, Rap and R&B, Asante will:
- Actively recruit Canadian music creators by scouting for emerging artists/songwriters, producers and screen composers who are or have the potential to be relevant in Rap, R&B, Pop, Electronic/Dance, Rock and screen composer genres.
- Identify emerging Canadian music creators and trends.
- Build relationships with emerging music creators and their business teams by meeting with them, listening to their music, attending their shows, and discussing their career aspirations and needs from a creative and business perspective.
- Provide support to SOCAN’s music publishing and screen composer member communities.
- Strategically analyze member earnings and trends to prepare financial reports to maximize member’s SOCAN experience.
- Create career opportunities for members by introducing songwriters and composers to applicable creative and industry members to further their careers (i.e. music publishers, managers, agents and record labels.
- Facilitate creative opportunities such as planning and executing songwriting camps and workshops, songwriting collaborations, master production classes and business seminars.
Asante’s career before SOCAN included roles as Digital & Email Marketing Manager with Canopy Growth; founder of A&R Report Inc., a consultancy that scouts and researches new songwriters, producers, artists, and engineers; Marketing Automation Specialist with G Adventures; and Marketing Manager with the Royal Conservatory of Music (Koerner Hall) in Toronto.
“We’re thrilled to welcome Michael Asante to the SOCAN team,” said Interim-CEO Jennifer Brown. “The expertise and dedication he brings to the vital and rapidly expanding Rap and R&B part of our total membership of nearly 170,000 music creators and publishers.”
“It is with great pleasure to join an amazing organization and team over at SOCAN,” Asante said. “Over the years I’ve prided myself on building with and servicing artists in the music community. Please feel free to utilize me as a vessel when it comes to building and growing your musical careers. I look forward to working with each and every member in the SOCAN family.”